With the colder weather approaching, we thought it would be beneficial to review some facts about the importance of replacing your furnace filters. Originally furnace filters main function was to protect the furnace and fans within the unit. Nowadays some types of filters can actually be installed to reduce the exposure to particles which can impact your health and allergies.
Your apartment can have a vast amount of particles that you may not be aware of. Common types of particles that you breathe in are from a variety of sources including but not limited to:
- Pet or Human hair & skin flakes
- Dust on the floors that is caused by activity within the house
- Dust that is a result of burning candles, doing laundry, smoking, cooking, etc.
- A MERV rating of 6 = the filter is between 35% to 50% minimum efficient at capturing particles
- A MERV rating of 8 = the filter is between 70% to 85% minimum efficient at capturing particles
- A MERV rating of 11 = the filter is between 85% to 95% minimum efficient at capturing particles